Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Making A Baby Name Collage

When my great niece was born 2 years ago I was into quilting and I created this quilt for her. Now that I am into scrapbooking and creating with paper I made her a Name Collage for her room. I matched the colors of the quilt and picked up some of the elements from the quilt like the butterfly.

Here is the quilt that I made:


And here is the collage (it is not in the shadowbox frame):



Thought I would share how I create the collages. They make a wonderful shower gift! Let everyone else buy from the registry and you can share your creativity with one of these!

STEP 1 - I roughly layout the collage in Illustrator or you can use any drawing program or sketch it out on paper.

STEP 2 - For text create outlines and take elements into a 12x12 (or 6x12) Illustrator page. Cut elements out of chip board 2 times. (I use cereal boxes).

STEP 3 - Cut same elements of patterned paper. (remember to take off 2 times cut)



STEP 4 - The shadowbox frame has velcro on it - I flip it over and use the other flat side.


STEP 5 - Add the background papers.



TIP: Use the cutouts from elements as masks - place them down and ink inside them for a subtle shadow on your paper.


STEP 6 - Adhere letters to the chipboard and ink the edges.



STEP 7 - Attach foam squares to bump letters up. I tried foam core on this project and it worked perfect - bought a huge sheet. You'll want the letters at different levels.



STEP 8 - Add other elements. For example I add a frame on the right side to insert a photo of the child.


STEP 9 - Embellish it! I used Creative Charms gradient jewels all over this to add some sparkle.




So give it a try and your gift will be the hit of the baby shower!


If you'd like a SVG of the butterfly that I created to match the quilt click DOWNLOAD.

5 comments:

  1. Amy,
    You used a cricut to cut the cereal box? Do you have a deep cut blade? I have been afraid to try more than card stock.
    Roni embellishartist@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roni - I just responded via email but thought I would post a comment for others that might be stopping by. I cut cereal boxes all the time with the regular blade on the Cricut - just have set to cut 2 times. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Blog Cutting Freebie search engine today (look for timestamp: 22 Dec [LA 04:00pm, NY 07:00pm] - 23 Dec [UK 12:00am, OZ 11:00am] ).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this Freebie. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Hands Cricut Freebies Search List, under the Cat(s)/Dog(s)/Bear/Bird/Butterfly/Any other Animal Theme post on Dec. 22, 2009. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, this is awesome! I love the butterfly. :) TFS your talent :)

    ReplyDelete