Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Baby Name Collage & Technique

Here is a recent Baby Name Collage I did. I donated one of these at our church bazaar. The winner recently had her baby and called me with the name.


Here is a closeup that shows some stitching and you can see part of the bumble bee's path above the C Block.



Here is a picture of her quilt and I matched it along with the colors of the room: Sage Green, Browns and Tans.



I wanted to do a path for the bumble bee like the quilt but I did not want to glue down a bunch of small pieces. I did a cut of the bumble bee path on the Cricut and used the cut as a stencil. Here is how I did it:

STEP 1 - Draw the line in Illustrator using the pen tool.



STEP 2 - I gave it a stroke of 5pts and clicked on Dashed Line and put in 12pt/10pt for the Dashed Line.

STEP 3 - Click on Object - Path - Outline Stroke.


STEP 4 - Click on the initial path and delete it so all you have is the dashes - check it in Preview mode to make sure you just have the dashes.


STEP 5 - Save as a SVG and import into SCAL. After you cut it you can use this as a stencil for the bee's path. I used an ink pad to color in the stencil.


I'm not thinking many of you would need a SVG of a bee path but you never know. Email me if you don't have Illustrator/Inkscape and I'll send it via email if you would like it for an upcoming project. Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that is wonderful. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an amazing job matching the quilt and sign! Thanks for the tut...I am going to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful quilt and frame, Amy! Thanks for the tutorial for AI!!! I certainly can use the help! lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and want to make one for my niece. Where did you get the 21" x 9" shadow box frame? I can't find one anywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your baby name collages! My sister is having twins so I am working on making 2 of these (boy and girl) for her shower. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete